• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wit beer with no head

W

wbc_leelee

Can anybody shed some light as to why my wit has no head, Kegged and gassed for 2 days @100 kpa, after 3 days when the beer is poured the head dissapears very quickly. This beer is based on Brads fantastic recipe with a couple of changes, have I done something wrong. Is it possible it needs to age more.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sub Tropical Wit
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 17/01/2004
Style: Witbier Brewer: Andrew Clark
Batch Size: 24.00 L Assistant Brewer:  
Boil Volume: 26.32 L Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Andrew's Mash Equipment Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.30 kg Rice Hulls (0 SRM) Adjunct 5.2 %
2.50 kg Pale Ale Malt (2 SRM) Grain 43.1 %
2.00 kg Wheat, Flaked (2 SRM) Grain 34.5 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (2 SRM) Grain 17.2 %
25.00 gm Saaz N.Z [8.5%] (60 min) Hops 21.3 IBU
20.00 gm Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc  
25.00 gm Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc  
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit II (White Labs #WLP410) [Starter 500 ml] [Cultured] Yeast-Ale  

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.049 SG (1.042-1.055 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.013 SG (1.008-1.012 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Color: 4 SRM (2-4 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 21.3 IBU (15.0-22.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 1.2 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.7 % (4.2-5.5 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 4.8 %
Actual Calories per 12 oz: 155 cal

Mash Profile Name: Double Infusion, Light Body Mash Tun Weight: 3.50 kg
Mash Grain Weight: 5.80 kg Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 22.2 C Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
Sparge Water: 2.88 L Adjust Temp for Equipment: No

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 10.89 L of water at 55.6 C 50.0 C 30 min
Saccrification Add 9.68 L of water at 86.6 C 65.6 C 30 min
Mash Out Add 9.68 L of water at 99.1 C 75.6 C 10 min

Mash Notes
Double step infusion - for light body beers requiring a protein rest. Used primarily in beers high in unmodified grains or adjuncts.
Carbonation and Storage Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Carbonation Volumes: 2.4 (2.1-2.7 vols)
Estimated Pressure: 172.7 KPA Kegging Temperature: 19.0 C
Pressure Used: - Age for: 1.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature: 6.0 C

One thing stands out right away -- Date: 17/01/2004. Was that the date you brewed it? Then it probably needs more time to condition. Also force-carbonating can take longer than a couple days. I've noticed that the one beer I force carbonated took about two weeks to get a really nice consistent and lasting head -- about the same as the beers that I prime and naturally carbonate.

Andrew,
 I really doubt it is anything wrong with the recipe - in fact the Wit usually has a nice lacy head.

An obvious question is what temperature are you kegging at?  Even at 100 kpa you need to have the beer down around 10 C to get reasonable carbonation.

If you are really at a much higher temperature it will be very hard to achieve good carbonation.

I run my refrigerator at about 5.6 C and 80 kpa.

As CJ mentioned - it can often take several days to fully carbonate the beer, so you may need to wait.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad and CJ
Thanks for the replies, yes the wit was only in the keg for two days after being force carbonated @6c and 100kpa before I cracked it, so maybe I do need to leave a little longer (but it is sooo hard to wait), also I did not secondary this beer as the last (and first) wit I brewed had very little yeast in the glass when poured. Will this extra yeast in the keg hurt the beer at all???
thanks again
Andrew

Andrew,
 The extra yeast should do no damage whatsoever.  As long as the beer tastes good, it probably is good!

In fact Wit traditionally has some haze both from yeast and the unmalted wheat.

Cheers!
Brad

I made the Wit with no mods to the recipe and bottle conditioned it. Maybe four weeks in the bottle before I started drinking it. The head seems fine to me. Never made a beer as clear as this one, though - golden yellow - looks like a commercial light lager (but tastes way better!)

-K

>  In fact Wit traditionally has some haze both
> from yeast and the unmalted wheat.

Update on wit with no head, 2 wks after kegging fantastic lacy head about an inch high when poured from keg and laces down the glass. I was too eager to drink this great beer but it is fantastic now.
regards
Andrew

Yes,
 I just poured the last glass from my keg of Wit over the weekend.  Looks like I'll have to make more as well.

It really is a favorite with the guests - particularly for those who don't like some of my heavier beers.

Cheers!
Brad

Back