• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My recipes lost

Beerlord

Apprentice
Reaction score
This is the second time in 2  years this has happened. Here's the background:
I'm using Beersmith 3 and I use it about twice a week to plan and make new recipes. Last night I opened it to create a new one and the 'My Recipes' tab was gone. All the other recipes I've gotten from from the Add-ons over the years are still there by the folder with my recipes (126 of them) is gone. This happened before and I was able to go to the Archives and get them back but this time, the Archives only had 26 of the recipes and I've looked at all the  .bsmx files in the Beersmith folders and, there are many, but they are all duplicates. Certainly I should have regularly backed up that folder and will do so often now but what can cause this to happen? 

I get no error or any message at all when I opened the program, My Recipes simply disappeared.  :(
Thankfully I have a number of them printed out and saved but the thought of adding them all in again manually is not making me happy.

I found out recently from a IT security consultant that there was a windows build last year which caused issues with windows deleting or losing the pointer for files, causing a random issue with files disappearing.  I am not at home to dig up the info, but it is worth checking your last windows 10 update.  If it was last fall, you may want to make sure a newer update is installed that fixes that issue.

I actually thought about updates causing it but in the last 3 months, I've had 2 updates and the last one was 2 weeks ago and I've used BS more than a dozen times since then. But still, why not delete the add-on recipes?
Thanks for your help. This ain't the end of the world.

Back