• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe Version Field

M

Mij

It would be great to add another field to the Recipe layout -> Recipe Version # (or something along those lines)...

What would be even better would be a recipe version control  ;D

Imagine:
  • You enter a base recipe
  • Brew it and save changes (efficiency change perhaps)
  • Brew it again, perhaps slight grain bill mods
  • Brew it again, Mash temp different
  • THEN!  Go back and see all the differences which occurred between your original and most recent!!!

Sounds good to me...I currently duplicate my recipe and make the changes on the dupe and compare that way/.  It would be cool to have some kind of side by side recipe comparison.  I think a feature like that would also be helpful when trying to design your own recipes and comparing them to known good recipes of the same style.

I like this idea, but if I may, how about this model:

"[Current recipe] based upon 'recipe X'".
Where Recipe X is a hotlink, created by selecting the recipe it was based on.

This would give you versions, but it would also serve those who like to brew non-version variants (fruit beers, hop or yeast substitutions, etc) which might not fit into a "versions" view of things.

That's actually how I'd version my recipes anyways (instead of version numbers, note something in the title... but would really like to hotlink back to the original recipe).

I was thinking about this for the nth time today, thought I'd post on here and there's already a thread. Seems I'm not alone.
What I do is generally note the changes in the notes field. After a few iterations it gets hard to read.
Ideal for me would be an archived recipe database that doesn't come up in the usual list, but on a given recipe you can click "previous versions" or something like, and it pulls up a list of just that recipe in its various forms, sorted by date or whatever.
Then when you are editing a recipe, you can chose to either change the recipe itself or list the current one as an archive and save the new one as current.

+1 to Yeasty's previous version idea.  That would be a great feature.

I change something almost every time I brew a recipe.  That produces a bunch of near duplicate recipes.

Back