• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipes missing

EBB-Brewer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
So I opened up BeerSmith v3 (win10) yesterday to get ready for running my brew day and to my dismay all of my recipes brewed/planned/researched were gone.  I wasn't sure if I had a filesystem corruption or another problem but luckily I had a print out of the recipe that I was planning to run and was able to execute based on that. 

I was able to track down through the forums the restore from backup functionality and luckily I was able to find a viable file to restore to get my data back.  I did lose one recipe but that was in planning so I can recreate it without much issue.  My biggest concern was loosing all of my notes that I have recorded from my sessions. 

More than anything I expect to be able to rely on software I purchase to store information reliably.  I can understand some situations where you have to account for multi user conflicts and different transaction schemes that could lead to data loss but I am using this simply on my desktop with a local drive and not trying to do anything out of the ordinary.  From looking at the forums this has been going on for a while and its good to have the restore function but it seems there needs to be focus on fixing a core storage issue and not blame Win10 updates for the data loss. 

Just posting this so that there is awareness that this problem is still occurring.

Yes EBB-Brewer, your observations are correct, been going on for well... way to long and it's still happening

I lost all of mine last year, luckily I had a recent zip file backup and only lost one recipe.  My buddy lost everything and I was only able to recover about 1/3 of his recipes

Like you, I don't use a cloud folder, all recipes are stored locally.  In my case the loss happened as google sync was running when I termined BS

We haven't seen many app features/improvements in a while, sure would be nice for the next release to fix the issue and I would be very glad to have that and nothing more

Good luck all
Rick

Do you leave Beersmith running on your computer when you are not using it? This is the cause of many problems with BS. The software needs to complete a number of processes when it closes and when closed normally it handles those processes and all is well with the world. If Beersmith is forced to shut down however it is unable to complete those processes. Long story short... close the program when you are finished using it.

Back