• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith on a Chromebook

stojanFC

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I wanted to have a small profile laptop that I can take and move around with me when I brew, so I bought a cheap Chromebook (the Lenovo 100e). Cost me about $120. I didn't realize that it being a 32-bit processor that it couldn't run Beersmith. I didn't know there wasn't an application for Chromebooks, and even when I wanted to run Ubuntu on my Chromebook to install the Linux/Ubuntu application, it still wouldn't because it's a 64-bit application. DO YOUR RESEARCH! Wish I did...

Thought I wasted $120, but then I discovered that you can remote your Chromebook into another laptop and run applications from there. It's not perfect, because the resolution ain't great, but it's better than wasting money...

Anyway, here's how I did it, if this same thing happens to you;

-Go into your Chrome browser and type the link remotedesktop.google.com. You'll need to install this on BOTH the Chromebook and the laptop you are trying to connect to. I'm connecting to a Windows 10 laptop, so I don't know if this works on a Mac. Maybe?

-Install the required extensions, and really you should be set to go. You'll need to set up a pin so you can connect, and name the PC you're trying to connect to.

When you want to connect at any point, fire up your Chrome browser and you should see a small icon at the top right of the browser named "Chrome Remote Desktop" when you hover your mouse over it. Or type in the same link I provided earlier (remotedesktop.google.com) and You'll see the name of the PC you're trying to connect to. If it says ONLINE you should be good to connect, just click on it. If it says OFFLINE, the PC you're trying to connect to may be off or something...make sure, obviously, both are connected to the internet. You don't need to be on the same internet connection, which is nice.

-If it runs in Windowed mode, it's practically unreadable. Just click the 3-button icon on the upper right of the browser and find the ZOOM setting. There should be a 4-segmented box that will set the application to full screen mode.

OR you could skip all this and download the Google Play app, and spend $7 on it. It's a basic version of BeerSmith, if you can get used to it. I know I've seen people pretty divided on it's usability and helpfulness.

There you go. Hope this helps anyone.

You can also now run the web based version of BeerSmith from your Chromebook.

Brad

Back