• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

SUBSTITUTING GRAIN

cowboy up

Brewer
Reaction score
Can I substitute Maris Otter for any 2 row barley malt for my base grain in a recipe? Thanks Cowboy Up!

Cowboy, I'm pretty sure unless you need a real boutique base grain, MO will greatly exceed the quality of the standard 2-row pale.  I have yet to use it, but I hear the only difference is it is slightly more malty.

The best answer I can give is:  it depends.  If you are brewing an English-style ale, then yes, it's very appropriate.  It will give you a fuller (biscuity) flavor than an American 2-row pale.  If you need a neutral base, stick with American.  What's the recipe you're thinking of substituting it in?

That being said, I have friends who use it exclusively in their recipes.  It's good stuff!  Personally, I love it in IPA.

Cowboy....Great question.

bretski answered it very well and all that I would offer is...

When substituting ingredients, check with people as you have done.  Especially if you desire to brew as close to style as possible.

Personally, I'm not a fan of MO. I made a Single Malt and Single Hop (SMASH) that turned me off the stuff. Maybe I will get over it in the future, but for now...

Cheers
Preston

Thanks to all for the info. I don't have a specific recipe in mind right now. The reason the question came to mind is that our LHBS doesn't always have the 2 row base malts in stock, but generally have some type of base grain on the shelf. I don't have enough knowledge at this time to know just what grains can be substituted for another. Are there any good books or web sites that would have that kind of information? Our LHBS is new and just getting started in the business so they are trying to get their feet on the ground and get supplied. I talked to them about stocking more base grains and I believe they will be working on that. I,m not sure how many people in this part of Wyoming are into all grain brewing. Hopefully there will be more in the future. Thanks again!  :) Cowboy Up!

Where abouts are you in Wyoming?  Laramie?  (Just a guess, based on your username :) )

If you ever get down to Fort Collins, stop by Hops and Berries.  They are well stocked.

Thanks Bretski. I live in the town of Wright. It's about 40 miles south of Gillette. Thanks for the info about Hops and Berries. I'll have to make plans to take a ride down there sometime this spring. I have a friend here that has a daughter that lives in Fort Collins. I can always send an order with him if he gets down there first. Good info Thanks! Where are you located? In Fort Collins? :) Cowboy Up!!

Yes, I live in Fort Collins.  If you're near Gillette, that's a wee bit further north than Laramie...  ;)

Hops and Berries does have a website: http://www.hopsandberries.com  They recently started doing web orders, but have more in the store than is listed on the site.  The owner (Colin) is a nice guy.  I'm sure he'd be happy to get an order together to be picked up if your friend comes down this way.

cowboy up said:
......The reason the question came to mind is that our LHBS doesn't always have the 2 row base malts in stock, but generally have some type of base grain on the shelf.  Our LHBS is new and just getting started in the business so they are trying to get their feet on the ground and get supplied.

One technical difference is that American 2-row bases typically have more enzyme power than European, so if you have a bunch of adjuncts American may be better (i.e., Bud/Miller).  And flavor differences exist, which people have addressed.  I could be totally wrong, but I've long thought that since BudMillCoors is still 85% of the beer market, and BMC probably is huge biz to Briess (US), that BudMillCoors grain specs go all the way to the barley fields, dictating exactly how much protein it can have, etc.  Ergo, plain beer requires plain grains.  I find British, Belgian and German grains much more flavorful than Briess, both for base and specialty grains.

Cowboy-

There are lots of books that provide good info about grains.  Designing Great Beers (Daniels) and How to Brew (Palmer) are two examples.  But I find that the malster's web sites provide the most detailed info.  You're on the right track by asking the question.  Now read...a lot. 

Thanks to everyone for the help. Bretski I just signed up for Hops and Berries newsletter and put their web sight in my browser. They have a good selection of ingredients and it will be handy to mail order from them Thanks!  :)  Cowboy Up!!

Cool, glad to help.  Colin (the owner) used to work at a microbrewery in Alaska before moving to Colorado...he has good advice to share if you need it.

Back