• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Change boiling temperature

Bane

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there a way to change the boiling point in Beersmith 3? I live at 5600 feet and boiling happens at 201 degrees here. There is altitude correction in the equipment profile, however it does not seem to change the boiling point.

Thanks,

You enter in the boiling point in your mash profiles.  You can edit the profile and change the boiling temperature to the temperature that correlates to your altitude.  Then, update your recipes with this new profile.  The setting in the equipment profile only affects the utilization rate of hops for purposes of computing the IBU value.  In your mash profile, it affects the upper temperature limit of infusion of hot water and the temperature at which decoction steps are calculated.

I would not have expected boil temp to be in the Mash Profile. Thanks for the pointer.

Is there a way to change the mash profile across all of my recipes at once?

Oginme said:
You enter in the boiling point in your mash profiles.  You can edit the profile and change the boiling temperature to the temperature that correlates to your altitude.  Then, update your recipes with this new profile.  The setting in the equipment profile only affects the utilization rate of hops for purposes of computing the IBU value.  In your mash profile, it affects the upper temperature limit of infusion of hot water and the temperature at which decoction steps are calculated.

Unfortunately, there is not and for a good reason.  BeerSmith is set up so that each recipe is a self-contained archive.  In this manner, any widespread change in a profile could affect recipes which have already been brewed which would skew the record on past recipes.

Back