• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

beer.xml issue

Bane

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am trying to export from beersmith to a beer.xml file and then import into craftbeerpi 3. When I export, I have noticed that beersmith is not properly including my mash profile. I have updated a mash profile to change the boiling temperature, and it does not write it properly in the XML. When I open thebeer.xml and look at the mash section, the profile name is correct, but teh file does not seem to include any entry to change the boil temp to 201.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks,

I've noticed over the years the beerxml import/export process often causes omissions and/or discrepancies between different software. When exporting from Brewers Friend to BeerSmith, the most common is with dry hop additions. Brewers Friend actually warns you that, essentially, YMMV. While it's  convenient to blame one end of the equation over the other, I wouldn't do so without being able to substantiate the claim.  If you have any evidence that one end or the other is to blame, I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

The below is copied directly from the beer.xml output of Beersmith 3. Note, that there is no Boil Temp.

<MASH>
<NAME>BIAB, Full Body (Altitude Correction)</NAME>
<VERSION>1</VERSION>
<GRAIN_TEMP>22.2000000</GRAIN_TEMP>
<TUN_TEMP>22.2000000</TUN_TEMP>
<SPARGE_TEMP>75.6000000</SPARGE_TEMP>
<PH>5.2000000</PH>
<TUN_WEIGHT>500.8000000</TUN_WEIGHT>
<TUN_SPECIFIC_HEAT>0.1200000</TUN_SPECIFIC_HEAT>
<EQUIP_ADJUST>TRUE</EQUIP_ADJUST>
<NOTES>Brew in a bag method where the full boil volume is mashed within the boil vessel and then the grains are withdrawn at the end of the mash.  No active sparging is required. This is a full body beer profile.</NOTES>
<DISPLAY_GRAIN_TEMP>72.0 F</DISPLAY_GRAIN_TEMP>
<DISPLAY_TUN_TEMP>72.0 F</DISPLAY_TUN_TEMP>
<DISPLAY_SPARGE_TEMP>168.1 F</DISPLAY_SPARGE_TEMP>
<DISPLAY_TUN_WEIGHT>500.80 oz</DISPLAY_TUN_WEIGHT>

That answers that! The more popular brewing software that I'm aware of don't even have a setting for boil temperature or altitude. Probably why it isn't a parameter included in the export. Thanks for the info. Hopefully others will read and now be aware of the cause in this case. I assume that craftbeerpi has a place for that entry.

Back