• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Stout Recipe

SpencerJanney

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am excited to brew my first original stout recipe and would love to get some feedback. I like a robust stout with bitter, dark-chocolate and acrid coffee notes which work well with english hops. I am hoping that the crystal/chocolate malt and molasses will do enough to balance these characteristics with smooth sweetness married to the nuttiness of the maris otter.

Attachments

• Winter Stout.html
    7.7 KB · Views: 248
I'm sure it'll turn out just fine. Wondering why you went with oats instead of flaked barley and why no roasted barley. both being traditional ingredients for stouts. Also, I would have definitely gone with an English or Irish ale yeast, also traditional.

I agree with Bob357.  To me the recipe looks more like a hopped up imperial porter than a stout.  In the end no matter what you call it, it should be fine.  Given the starting gravity, I think the California Ale yeast will chew through the wort a bit more than the English or Irish yeasts will and leave a cleaner finish.  Since you are already kind of a 'tweener' recipe, which is not a bad thing at all, I'd kind of rock it and see how it goes. 

Thanks so much for your replies!

I only threw in oats because I have had such good results in the past with increased head retention and mouthfeel but I would be very curious to try some flaked barley instead in this beer. I was curious to try brown malt as a breadier, slightly lighter alternative to traditional roasted barley purely out of curiosity (and because of my propensity for ESB and english ales)

Oginme you're exactly right that I went with CA Ale just to dry out the sweeter parts of the malty bill a little more but I may see if I can find a super high attenuating English Ale Yeast instead. Haven't been able to get WLP007 at my local shop recently but always down to experiment!

Thank you both for your input!

If you can find it, Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell is a great choice .

Back