• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Extract conversion from AG - whole point of purchase, can this not be added?

DrAnna

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Just discovered the mobile version doesn't do conversion of recipes, which was the whole reason for purchasing beersmith to do recipe conversion to extract! It hadn't occurred to me this wouldn't be available on the mobile one. Surely this is possible, why isn't it available?

Anna

Do you really expect the much less expensive mobile version to have the full functionality of the desktop version? I have an appropriate analogy, but this forum is no place for politics.

There?s no need for confrontation in such a reply, I?m fairly new to brewing and not all of us have the experience or knowledge to use all the features. Since extract brewing is, it would seem, a route chosen by many smaller scale brewers, it would seem that recipe conversion is exactly what would be looked for in a mobile product. The irony is that those looking to invest in the desktop product are most likely those who will use recipe conversion least. I?d happily pay for recipe conversion as a stand alone product.

From my limited experience and reading there seems to be an assumption that extract brewers will move to all grain but that?s not a practicality for many given the equipment and investment involved. Please could you consider that there are different consumer groups involved and recipe conversion provides an opportunity for growth in the application or market, particularly since you will have existing code/algorithms for this. I have an IT background and am aware I can approximate the conversions on a spreadsheet, it?s just I?d have been happy to pay for the convenience of conversion within an app.

Personally yes I am disappointed by the mobile software, and yes a bit surprised by the demeaning nature of such a reply.

Anna

Anna,

The mobile version was initially meant to be a brew day companion to the desktop program.  It has increased in features over the years, but is still not a fully stand alone product, IMHO.  This is one of the many reasons I have not used it.  That said, I do know many users who use the mobile version without the desktop program, and like yourself quite a few wish for the full functionality.

While you are correct that many users of the desktop program eventually move to all-grain, it is not the case for some users.  There are many who use BeerSmith almost exclusively for extract recipes to their advantage.

I hope this helps with understanding.  While I do sympathize with you, it might be better to communicate directly with Brad from the main BeerSmith web site so that he can understand your frustration.

Back