• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BS3 adding 1.1 units instead of 1.0

SJBrewer

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm having difficulty when adding anything in BS3. For instance, I wanted to add 1 whirlflock tablet but the software enters it as 1.1 units.
When in the shopping list, I need .25 lbs. of Pilsner malt but when I hit the 'round up' button it changes it to 1.1
This even does it with the yeast, when I add pack, it suggests 1.1

I'm attaching my units screen from the program.

Attachments

• units.jpg
    units.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 237
What is your batch size?  Compare that to the batch size listed in the ingredient.  When you add specific ingredients, such as misc items, the program automatically adjusts the amount based upon the dosage which is in the profile for that ingredient.  For example, in my copy of BeerSmith the whirlflock tablet is set to 1 item per 5 gallons.  If I brew a 5.5 gallon batch and add the whirlflock to that recipe, the program will scale it up by 10% based upon the difference in the batch sizes (5 gal vs 5.5 gal).

Same thing happens with the yeast.  You can edit the most commonly used items and change the addition rate to accommodate your dosage and standard batch size. 

As to the pilsner malt in the shopping list, I am not sure why that would happen since I don't use the 'round up' button.  When I tried it, it took partial kg of grains and rounded it up to 1.00 kg very nicely. 

Back