• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewday Readings - Am I doing this right in the Beersmith software?

sharalds

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm up and running with the Beersmith software but want to make sure I'm entering in the correct information as I go.  Here is what I have entered for the beer I brewed this morning.  Questions below.

s2Yw3FSl.jpg

1. End of Running Gravity - It says you should stop sparging when you generally hit 1.010 For the majority of my beers I mash for 60 minutes at 152 and then do a single batch sparge for ~10 minutest at 168.  Do I just leave this blank?  It seems to me like a spot where you could see how efficient your mash was?  This one is the part I'm most confused about.

2. Meas Post Mash Gravity - It says gravity of worth post mash and boil top up but before sugars are added.  I don't have many recipes that call for additional sugars so would this be the same as I put into Meas Pre-Boil Gravity (unless of course adding sugar)?

3. Meas Pre-Boil Gravity - It says Specific gravity measured before the boil. This one seems pretty straightforward, gravity reading right before I begin the boil.

4.  Measured OG - It says Measured original gravity. My reading from post-boil.  What is going into the fermenter before yeast.

sharalds said:
1. End of Running Gravity - It says you should stop sparging when you generally hit 1.010 For the majority of my beers I mash for 60 minutes at 152 and then do a single batch sparge for ~10 minutest at 168.  Do I just leave this blank?  It seems to me like a spot where you could see how efficient your mash was?  This one is the part I'm most confused about.

When I batch sparged, I used to record the gravity of my sparge here, but it really serves no purpose other than record keeping for troubleshooting if the next brew of that recipe turned out different. You can also use it to record the gravity of your initial runnings if you want. Pretty much you can leave it blank if you have no use for that information.

2. Meas Post Mash Gravity - It says gravity of worth post mash and boil top up but before sugars are added.  I don't have many recipes that call for additional sugars so would this be the same as I put into Meas Pre-Boil Gravity (unless of course adding sugar)?

THis would be the gravity you record from the wort collected from your mash.  If you have no addition of water or sugars, then it is the same as your pre-boil gravity.

3. Meas Pre-Boil Gravity - It says Specific gravity measured before the boil. This one seems pretty straightforward, gravity reading right before I begin the boil.

Yup!

4.  Measured OG - It says Measured original gravity. My reading from post-boil.  What is going into the fermenter before yeast.

Pretty much it will be your post boil gravity as long as you do not have any top off water going into the fermenter.

sharalds said:

Correct, but the problem is that it refers to the gravity at boiling temperature, which is not what we measure. We need to cool down our samples to room temperature to make a measurement and that means that the water is 4% denser (i.e. lower in volume) and the specific gravity is then 4% higher.

--GF

GigaFemto said:
sharalds said:

Correct, but the problem is that it refers to the gravity at boiling temperature, which is not what we measure. We need to cool down our samples to room temperature to make a measurement and that means that the water is 4% denser (i.e. lower in volume) and the specific gravity is then 4% higher.

--GF

That is a known calculation error in the program.

Back