• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello Beer People My name is Fred C.

F

FredC

Hello out there I am new member here have been brewing for 10 years now.
I brew only partial mashes I know some people say if you don't do all grain you are not brewing.But everyone has there own opinion.
Some of my favorite beer styles are Oktoberfest, Vienna Lagers, Belgians etc.
I am not a hop head I can swallow some IPA's but not too many
I have an British Style ale which I am drinking now which is quite tasty.
Also have a Maibock sitting in the second ferm. it has been there for 2 weeks now at 40 degrees. Nice and slow cold is the perfect recipe for an Maibock which by the way is pushing 9% alc.
I would like to brew a 4 grain ale next, thinking oats,rye,wheat,barley.
Does any one out there have any ideas ??
Let me know

Fred

FredC said:
Hello out there I am new member here have been brewing for 10 years now.
I brew only partial mashes I know some people say if you don't do all grain you are not brewing.But everyone has there own opinion.
Some of my favorite beer styles are Oktoberfest, Vienna Lagers, Belgians etc.
I am not a hop head I can swallow some IPA's but not too many
I have an British Style ale which I am drinking now which is quite tasty.
Also have a Maibock sitting in the second ferm. it has been there for 2 weeks now at 40 degrees. Nice and slow cold is the perfect recipe for an Maibock which by the way is pushing 9% alc.
I would like to brew a 4 grain ale next, thinking oats,rye,wheat,barley.
Does any one out there have any ideas ??
Let me know

Fred

Welcome to BeerSmith Fred

Good beer is brewed using many approaches.  You seem to think through your approach and know where you want to go.

I bet you make great beer.  I look forward to learning from you.

Hi Fred,

You sound a lot like me.  I've been a patial mash brewer for a loooooooong time.  As we both know, that doesn't preclude us from making good brews.  I'm starting to make the transition to AG, but it's mostly a cost consideration for me at this point.  The last trip to my LHBS was a bit of a shock, when my total rang up!

As far as ideas for your 4 grain ale, one thing that comes to mind would be to use some Amarillo hops...they go well with rye. 

Fred, I'm still pretty green, but really like the things different grains do.  I only wonder if your get 4 notes or if rye or 1 of the others will dominate.

Still sounds good.  Welcome aboard!

Welcome Fred -- I'm just getting started and I'm quite happy doing partial boils with extracts and specialty grains. Works for me. Also good to have another non-hop-head around.

Hi Fred, Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

My $.02 on the recipe, would be an Old Ale or Stock Ale using Maize, Rye, Wheat, and Barley. For Yeast, maybe #1728 or #1084. You could do a 1# dark/med/light Candi addition halfway through the Primary go give it a little warmth.

And don't let anyone tell you differently, You make Beer!

Cheers
Preston

Hi Fred,

I'm a noob to this forum, and I've only been brewing about a year. AG can be a pain and you should prepare yourself accordingly (i.e. read up on it and know how it works and what to expect). Stuck sparges can be a real nightmare. My first AG was a Russian Imperial Stout that was WAY too big for me. I botched it, although I learned a lot from it. I ventured into AG very early as I was a culinary graduate and a professional chef for years. Thought I could handle it. You've got to know the science first. Go to HowToBrew.com and either read teh online version of John Palmer's book, or purchase it. It is like a bible to me.

A nice stout might be just what you're looking for by the way.

Back