• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

RO Water For BIAB

BeerPal

Apprentice
Reaction score
Brewing a West Coast Style IPA in a BIAB session. Gonna use reverse osmosis water for the first time ever. I selected "Distilled Water" in the Water Profile tab and "Hoppy Pale Ale" as the Target Profile. Two questions:

1.- Is there a more appropriate target profile I should use? I didn't see anything closer.

2.- Is adjusting my RO water as simple as dumping in the recommended salts at the beginning of the session?

The hoppy pale ale is an excellent choice for an IPA.  I like adding the salts in when I am measuring in the water.  The disturbing of the water when I am pouring it in helps in dissolving the salts.  My preference is to have the salts dissolved, though I know some people who add it into the mash with the grains.  It all works.

Awesome, thanks! So I simply take the particular salts in the amounts that BeerSmith recommends and toss them in?

Well, they don't do too much good just sitting on the counter  ;D.

Yes, just add them to the water.

Back