• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjust gravity (feature request)

x3la

Brewer
Reaction score
I did not hit my SG. As a consequence I used the "Adjust Gravity" tool for the first time.

I added 500g DME to achieve the SG. I wanted to ensure I did not contaminate the wort so boiled it in water.

Target SG 1.060
Measured SG 1.050

Add 500g DME to achieve Target SG.
Added 1.2L water in order to boil DME in.

Effectively it looks like the 1.2L brings down SG by 0.003 so therefore my additions brought my SG to 1.057 rather than 1.060.

Is it possible to have an additional field in the "Adjust Gravity" tab ("Water added to DME:"?) that takes into account the additional water that the DME is mixed in? In my case, this would have told me to add an additional 150g of DME.

The adjust gravity feature is for use during recipe creation not during or after brew day. I don't think it is necessary to boil extract so you can skip that next time.

Thanks, but this is the "Adjust Gravity" Tool, not "Adj Gravity" in the "Design" tab.

https://beersmith.com/blog/2018/07/06/fixing-a-high-or-low-original-gravity-in-beer-by-adding-malt-extract-or-water/

I don't trust DME to be free of contaminants, hence wanting to boil it before putting it into the Fermenter.

Regardless of the initial intent, adding water dilution of added sugars would be an enhancement making the tool more flexible and useful.

Well, Brad did say in his article that this is a little known tool. As long as I have used Beersmith I never knew this was there. After quite a bit of searching I finally found it. You learn something new every day.

Back