• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Adjustment Salts showing both mash and sparge?

HopMonkey

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am new to water chemistry and I am unsure of if I have setup something incorrectly in my profiles. My question is should it be adding both sparge and mash salts for a BIAB setup? I do see that the PPM on all of the sparge items is zero though so that is also adding to my confusion. Not sure if I just ignore sparge or combine it with mash or if I have something set incorrectly.

I have setup my local water profile after having it tested by Ward labs. I have added that and set it to match the correct target profile for the style of beer. It appears that it is adding the correct salts from the little bit I know so far. My equipment is setup for BIAB. Mash is set for the default BIAB, Full Body option.

Thanks for the help!

Rather than post screen shots, which are nice to look at but do not show us the application in the recipe, export your recipe as a .bsmx file by clicking on the recipe in the folder to highlight it, then select 'file' > 'export selected' and in the pop up screen change the save as type to .bsmx and give the file a name.  You can then upload it by attaching it to your post.  That will give us a chance to see how the profiles are set up and being used in the recipe.  It is easier to troubleshoot that way.

Attached is the .bsmx file for this recipe.

Attachments

• WaterSaltQuestions.bsmx
    26.9 KB · Views: 384
I am just guessing here, but I suspect that you added the salts with a profile which was not set for full volume BIAB and then changed the mash profile to be full volume BIAB.  When you make this change, the program does not change the materials which have already been added to the recipe, thus you still have the sparge salts added, but they contribute no ions to the water profile, since there is no water being added for the sparge.

When I erased the salt additions and used the water profile to add them again, they came in as mash additions with no sparge additions.

I was able to reproduce your result by changing to a standard mash profile with batch sparge, adding the mineral salts using the water tab, and then changing the mash profile back to the BIAB mash profile.

Oginme said:
I am just guessing here, but I suspect that you added the salts with a profile which was not set for full volume BIAB and then changed the mash profile to be full volume BIAB. 

I think you are right. I cloned this recipe from old one and then changed the settings before adding salts. I recreated it from scratch with setting all of the profiles first and it worked as expected.  Just getting some mash salts and no sparge salts.

Thank you for you help!

thanks for posting this question and the answer. I've made the changes to my profile and fixed the annoying mash/sparge water additions also.

Yes if you set it to a BIAB mash profile it won’t calculate a separate sparse addition.

what I do is collect all my water before hand and add the salts to the total water. it does get confusing if you sparge your BIAB which is not traditional but sometimes needs to be done if your infusing water or your using a small kettle.

Back