• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Starter Recommendations from BeerSmith v3

thomasarose

Apprentice
Reaction score
Might be a better question in another area, but in calculating the cell count needed for 10 gallon IPA batch (1.063 OG), I need 3 packages of liquid London Ale yeast if I use a starter. My question is the tool recommended starter size of 1.74L, so is that starter size for each package or can the packages be combined into 1.74L solution?

The program recommends a number of packs of a yeast given no starter.  For the starter, the program looks at the number of packs in the recipe and the mfg date of that pack to calculate out the amount of starter needed.  So the number of packs for a starter is based upon how many packs you have added to the recipe in the design tab.

thank you for quick reply and understand what you are saying. With 3 packs I have and using stir plate, I will have enough cells using 1.74 starter size. My question is put all three packs in one flask with 1.74 L solution?

Not seeing the age of the packs, my routine would be to grown up one pack in the starter and then pitch with the other two packs.  If you overcrowd the starter with too many cells to start with, they will not multiply.  Any recommendation really depends up on the specifics of the recipe, the viability of the yeast packages, and the number of cells you need.

Just off the top:  you need somewhere in the vicinity of 440 billion cells.  If you packets are one month old, your viability would leave you with around 77 billion cells in each packet.

A 1.74 liter starter on one of the packets would give you approximately 330 Billion cells.  Add the other two packets and you would be pitching 484 billion cells.

There are a lot of assumptions in the above calculation, but you can just plug the numbers in and check based upon your actual information.

Thanks again for your quick reply. Yes, those are my numbers and your recommendation is a perfect plan, thanks!  :)

Back