• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Big Beer Extended Primary Negative Effects?

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Have a big beer right now in primary---10-12% ABV---using 2nd generation Wyeast 3787.

Don't really want to rack to secondary if I don't have to. My schedule for this is to let it ferment out and then lager it around 50 degrees for two to three months, then package.

The question is, with a beer this big, can I leave it on the yeast for that extended period of time? In my experience, I say yes. HOWEVER. There are some caveats to this, which is why I ask the question:

1. This ferment will get hot. Sat at 64 for a day, then 68, and eventually I started to bring up and it's hit 85 (intentional). It will hold here until it naturally starts to drop (typically, this is when I cap it).
2. This is open fermentation and I am actively cropping and discarding yeast when it's this hot.

This yeast was top cropped from a smaller beer, which also fermented hot over time.

Back