• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Phosphortic Acid question

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I purchased a quart of 85% Phosphoric Acid by mistake.  I should have purchased 10% instead.

At the levels that Beersmith recommends for acid addition during the mash step for my size batches (5 to 7 gallon) with my well water the amount required is .04 teaspoon ? obviously impossible to measure.

So I want to dilute the 85% down to a more standard solution of 10% with distilled water that would be easier to handle and measure.

Chemistry and dilution formulas are a long time in my past.  So I thought I would solicit a view on the dilution process.

A strict percentage calculation would yield a .118 conversion factor -- --
5 ounces of 85% PA to 42 ounces of distilled water

And then I got confused ? are there contributing ions and other factors to this dilution? 

Any help would be appreciated.

I use 85% in every batch and using Bru'n Water calculator for years, bit complicated, but learnable but excellent. There you can enter your acid strengths! Water calculators take a lot of hands on experience to be proficient with. The BeerSmith water calculator has made great strides since it inception. I don't use it, I just check out occasionally. It is a very complicated water analysis process to simplify! The upgrade and improvements I have received strive for better accuracy, a newer look, but simplifying use is very slight. I uses a 10 ml in 1/10 glass pipet to add the acid to brewing water. You can usually find new & used ones on ebay. You would just have to convert  teaspoons to mL and check out what is in the options menu for volume.

mr_beer said:
I purchased a quart of 85% Phosphoric Acid by mistake.  I should have purchased 10% instead.

At the levels that Beersmith recommends for acid addition during the mash step for my size batches (5 to 7 gallon) with my well water the amount required is .04 teaspoon ? obviously impossible to measure.

So I want to dilute the 85% down to a more standard solution of 10% with distilled water that would be easier to handle and measure.

Chemistry and dilution formulas are a long time in my past.  So I thought I would solicit a view on the dilution process.

A strict percentage calculation would yield a .118 conversion factor -- --
5 ounces of 85% PA to 42 ounces of distilled water

And then I got confused ? are there contributing ions and other factors to this dilution? 

Any help would be appreciated.

You can use M1V1 = M2V2 for the dilution. So if we want to know how much 85% acid to dilute to 100 ounces of 10% acid ??> 0.85(v1) = (0.1)(100) ??> gives us 11.8 ounces. In other words, take 11.8 ounces of 85% acid and dilute it to 100 ounces with water, or take 11.8 ounces 85% acid plus 100-11.8=88.2 ounces water to give you a total of 100 ounces of 10% acid. You can pm me if you need more clarification.

Cheers,
Jeff

Back