• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB mash efficiency estimate

Leard

Apprentice
Reaction score
How can I change the mash efficiency estimate for my BIAB profile? I set the BH efficiency at about 70% because that's what I usually achieve. However my mash efficiency always seems to be about 81% and I only ever achieve 70-75% mash efficiency. It means I can never hit the target OG set by the software. At the moment I'm not sure what else I can do to improve my efficiency past 75%.

There are a ton of responses to this issue and most of the time, it's an incomplete understanding of BHE. The BHE value is the percentage of available sugar that makes it to the fermenter. If you multiply your expected mash efficiency by the volume percentage that gets to the fermenter, you'll be in the right BHE ballpark. The more accurate your measurements, the more accurate the BHE.

I think you may be overestimating the amount of loss to trub. When this happens, the calculation keeps the same OG based on your BHE number. The sugar needed to cover the trub loss can then only come from the mash efficiency.

When you fill in the session data, you'll see the actual BHE ("Meas Efficiency") of your recipe. Use that as the starting number for the next recipe.

Back