• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Got a Burn in the back of the roof of my mouth

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
A friend gave me one of his brews and it had a great initial taste, but then my soft pallet get a burning irritation. I suspect it was from a hop addition, but I am not sure.
It was an NEIPA and muddy as hell, almost thick.
All hops were either in whirlpool or as late additions in pprimary.
Any ideas?

I have experienced that in a lot of commercial and homebrewed NEIPAs.  It is commonly referred to as "hop burn".  I experienced it myself when I switched from T-90 pellets to Cryohops and have since changed those additions to a combination which seems to help with cutting down on that harsh burning type sensation with all late addition hops.  The other thing that I did was to add about 16 to 20 IBU (as calculated) as first wort hops or 60 minute additions which also seems to help with cutting down on that unpleasant sensation.

I remember when the IBU wars were being waged. Everyone was brewing these really bitter beer of ~100 IBU. I hated them. 

Now the tons of late hops produce this burn. Again, everyone seems to think it?s cool but no thanks.

I guess those are a couple reasons I homebrew.

I rarely get this burn immediately after drinking, but with more bitter beers I often have a bit of a sore throat in the morning. It usually goes away by the afternoon. I hate to admit it, but I did get caught up in the "bitterness wars" for a few years there....I have mellowed out some and I think other people have too.

Back