• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fresh, wet hops

KB

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I've been lucky this year and have a bumper crop of hops growing. Found a recipe that I will brew using the hops.

I know BeerSmith considers whole hops as "leaf".

An online AHA article describes using fresh, wet hops.

"Wet hops contain about 80 percent water, so you?ll need to use more than you would when using dry hops. In general, four to six times as many wet hops are needed by weight as dry hops. For example, one ounce of pelleted dry hops would be the equivalent of four to six ounces of wet hops. You get the idea."

My question in BeerSmith. How do I properly build a recipe knowing I'll need 4 to 6 times wet hops vs dry hops without having BeerSmith calculate an inaccurate IBU?

If you knew the Alpha Acid % of the hops you could divide it by 5 and come pretty close, but you have no way of knowing the AA%. Bitter with hop that you know the AA% of and use the wet hops for late additions.

No, Columbus hops are
  AA normally 14 - 16%. Estimate mine at 15%
  Beta normally 4 - 5.5%. Estimate mine at 4.8%

Doesn't answer the BeerSmith question.

Your estimate is based upon the typical range of %AA and %BA on dried hops.  Dried hop flowers usually contain 10.5% to 13.5% water.  Your research showed 80% water in wet hops. 

Once you include the water dilution, it would be pretty close to what BOB357 has stated.  Not really knowing how much %AA you actually have in your hops, a 5 or 6 fold increase is not unreasonable as an estimate to start with and you can adjust once you actually have some sensory data to run with.

TO answer your BeerSmith question, add your hops to the ingredient data base and enter your estimated AA & BA numbers.

Back