Author Topic: large starters  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Nicasio Tom

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
large starters
« on: August 26, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
I can make a 2000ml starter, but what is the procedure for making, say, a four- or five-liter starter? Those who write about it assume it is obvious, I guess, and don't really explain it.

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Jomebrew
Re: large starters
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 08:42:03 AM »
it really is as simple as doubling the ingredients (water and malt extract) to go form a 2 liter to a 4 liter starter.  That is all I have done.

Offline Nicasio Tom

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 09:10:17 AM »
Thanks. So I?ll pour off wert from my 2- liter starter, and pitch that yeast into a larger mini-beer at 1.030, and so on, in stages, to go as large as I want?

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 09:25:36 AM »
I take it from your comments that you are limited to your 2 liter flask for a starter size.  In this case, you can step up your starter with a 2-liter starter by cold crashing the first starter, decant the clear wort from the top and then adding in another 2 liters or so of starter wort. 

My actual practice is to make the first starter, cold crash and decant, and then pour half of the remaining slurry into a sanitized jar and making a starter with the other half.  For very large amounts of yeast, I will split the first starter into two flasks and add starter wort to both of them.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline Nicasio Tom

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 01:22:43 PM »
Jomebrew and oginme, thanks for the info! It?s simpler than I thought but given the importance of yeast wanted to get it right.

modification