• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

large starters

Nicasio Tom

Brewer
Reaction score
I can make a 2000ml starter, but what is the procedure for making, say, a four- or five-liter starter? Those who write about it assume it is obvious, I guess, and don't really explain it.

it really is as simple as doubling the ingredients (water and malt extract) to go form a 2 liter to a 4 liter starter.  That is all I have done.

Thanks. So I?ll pour off wert from my 2- liter starter, and pitch that yeast into a larger mini-beer at 1.030, and so on, in stages, to go as large as I want?

I take it from your comments that you are limited to your 2 liter flask for a starter size.  In this case, you can step up your starter with a 2-liter starter by cold crashing the first starter, decant the clear wort from the top and then adding in another 2 liters or so of starter wort. 

My actual practice is to make the first starter, cold crash and decant, and then pour half of the remaining slurry into a sanitized jar and making a starter with the other half.  For very large amounts of yeast, I will split the first starter into two flasks and add starter wort to both of them.

Jomebrew and oginme, thanks for the info! It?s simpler than I thought but given the importance of yeast wanted to get it right.

Back