• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Does Malted Wheat

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Need a protein rest?

Will a protein rest hurt a recipe that is approx half malted wheat and half 2-row barley like it might a recipe with 100% modified grains?

Finally, would taking the malted wheat through the various temp steps separately from the 2 row help (or hurt) the outcome?

Thanks

I think the desired style or mouthfeel/body plays a role.  I believe malted wheat is just as "fully modified" as the malted barley that most home brewers use, so protein rests are not as necessary as when "less modifed" malts were more available.  But, wheat has more protein than barley, so depending on what body/MF (and perhaps clarity) you want, you might either do a rest to better break it down, or not.

On my wit, I did an adjunct rest at 105F with all the UNmalted wheat, malted wheat, and various flaked as a gum/glucans rest, but then quickly raised the temp straight to 154F before adding the pilsner malt.  I didn't want to break down the body/MF proteins called for in the wit style.  Results TBD. 

Maltlicker,

Thanks for the input, I've looked into Mosher's book who has an American Adjunct mash schedule that I thought about trying to use but I don't want to hurt the outcome.  I've done a protein rest on a 100% barley malt (with some adjuncts I guess) and it hurt the outcome no mouthfeel, no head retention etc.  This was before I knew better mind you but now I'm warray of doing it again

MaltLiker,
I've done barleywines with around 45% wheat and just done a regular single infusion mash. These have turned out fine. Most small breweries and brew pubs are only set up to do single infusions. So, I think you'll be fine.

Brew on, :)
jeff

Jeff,

I'm pretty sure you're right and doing a single infusion mash will be just fine but what I'm wondering is if I did some sort of step or modified step do I stand to gain anything?  I got the grain yesterday and I kept the munich and 2-row separate from the wheat just in case someone tells me something I should try or I'm inspired to give something a try but right now I'm thinking I might just give it a regular old single infusion mash. 

Wildrover said:
....but what I'm wondering is if I did some sort of step or modified step do I stand to gain anything?

Exactly.  I think it all depends on what ingredients you got and what style/flavor results you want.  After sanitation, I often wonder what is the most important factor to control?  Is it ferm temp control?  Are one or two things like that SO important that we should not worry about lesser things like protein rests until we have complete control of the top two factors?  Dunno.  And then sometimes we want to "make beer" and sometimes we want to clone Aventinus. 

I always use around 250gr. of wheat per 4.5kg of malt for head and mouthfeel and works well.
Did a recipe for Bishops Finger (Kentish Ale) clone that called for torrified wheat which couldn't get locally so subbed flaked wheat instead,  after having a few misgivings came up a very nice beer.  Sort of get the impression doesn't mater what shape or form wheat is, still get much the same result.

cheers           

MaltLicker said:
On my wit, I did an adjunct rest at 105F with all the UNmalted wheat, malted wheat, and various flaked as a gum/glucans rest, but then quickly raised the temp straight to 154F before adding the pilsner malt.   I didn't want to break down the body/MF proteins called for in the wit style.  Results TBD. 

I had the first test bottle of the wit (done as above) and it has a lot of body and richness for a 1.048 beer.  So, back to the original question, I think it does depend on the desired outcome more than the ingredient list. 

Back