• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

MPH3 OR BW MODEL ?

Gareth 158

Apprentice
Reaction score
SO MY ACID ADDITIONS USING 85% PHOS ACID HAS BEEN WAY OUT.

I USE A 280LTR FULL VOLUME RECIRCULATED MASH NO SPARGE,I USE THE BAIB PROFILE SET UP,BUT THE ACID ADDITIONS HAVE BEEN WAY OUT,WHAT I AM CONCERNED ABOUT IS THE NEW DROP DOWN ON THE PH ADJUSTMENT PROFILE IT STATES MPH3 OR BW MODEL,WHICH SHOULD I BE USING?

I've tried both, and BW (Bru'n Water) is more accurate for me. But, I use 88% lactic acid and I still increased my acid percentage because even that model is in the end...just an estimate. It was easier to add a couple drops of acid later as needed than trying to increase pH. I currently have the acid concentration set to 180% and that seemed to get me close the last two brew days. I would pick one and take the notes. Then, go back in recipe to see what you did and update your acid concentration percentages as needed.

Brad did publish a pH article within the last 10 days or so. He recommended halving (I think?) what any software recommends and then add as necessary.

Cheers,

Mark

Whichever one you want to use on a consistent basis.  I would highly recommend choosing one of them, either will work, and using that tool to help you determine how to use the recommended acid additions.  Especially if you are doing a full volume BIAB mash, these models should be considered approximates only.  I am still finding an offset (using the mph model) of around 0.2 pH units lower than what the model predicts and therefore just increase my target from 5.4 to 5.6 in order to attain the 5.4 pH at the end of the mash that I am targeting. 

If you read my sticky note on the all-grain/advanced topics, you can find the adjustments I have made and why.  From reports of others, the latest model that M. Riffe has developed works fairly well for traditional mash/sparge systems, but I am still experiencing the offset which is, I am surmising, due to the dilute nature of the mash.

Thanks for your replies, sometimes I'm actually having to adjust the ph in the kettle so i get the correct end ph for going into the fermenter, so the finished ph after fermentation is above 4.5.Its not ideal.

Back