• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can I program in a SNS starter for BS3?

WAhydrohead

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm just starting to play around with BS, and I found it odd that although it includes a starter tab when designing a recipe, a "Shanken Not Stirred" starter was not an option. 
Any tips on how to program in an SNS starter for BS, and it there a way to get the starter included on the recipe display?

Probably the easiest way would be to add (SNS) to the name of the yeast in the ingredients data base. Copy/paste the yeast and select the copy to make the addition. Don't know of any calculator that estimates cell count increase for SNS, so just an indication that it was used should suffice. If you have an idea of your ending cell count just edit it in the entry when you modify it.

SNS starters are not new but I do not know of anyone who has run a series of time/wort strength/cell inoculation rate vs growth rate curves to give any type of a reasonable stab at the growth rate using this method.  Most likely because the variability of shaking between any two users can be quite different any model of cell growth would be wildly variable to reality.  Then again, the aim of this method is not the number of cells but the health of the cells which are pitched, so does a cell count actually matter?

Kinda defeats the point of an SNS yeast starter, which is to say screw yeast counts.
Also, still does not add it as part of the recipe.

The focus of an SNS starter is vitality, not cell count. If it's that important to you maybe you have a good reason to conduct some experiments and put together something you're comfortable with. Nothing like answering your questions to your own satisfaction.

Just tell BS3 you made a 1 liter starter and check the "add starter to bottling vol" box. Don't worry about cell count or anything else.

--GF

You do not use cell counts so I really see no need to use Beersmith for a Shaken Not Stirred starter. I've done the SNS method for all of my beers under 1.060 going on 2 years now and hardly ever even open the yeast tab in BS.

OK, I feel like maybe I missed making my point.  What I really wanted was to have my starter be on the recipe, and everyone seems to be focusing on the fact that I want it to be an SNS starter.

Can the starter process be included in the recipe?

YES, it was answered above.  Go to the starter page and put in the details of your starter.  Then click on 'add starter to bottling vol' and the program will put that volume in AFTER the volume to fermenter.  you can see this on the 'vol' tab of your recipe.

Back