• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash volume different on Mobile vs. PC

Toy4Rick

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a recipe saved to the cloud, on my laptop, it shows 8.57 gals of water for mash, when I open the same recipe on my Android, mash volume is 8.0 gals.

The water temp is also not the same, close but still off, 157.2 vs. 157.6

When I open the recipe on my phone, I then saved the Equipment profile locally, then reselected it to the recipe to see if that would help, it didn't

Both apps are running current versions

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Laptop.jpg
    Laptop.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 948
  • Android.png
    Android.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 934
Bump please, sure would like to get an answer to this

I would like to help, but I don't have the mobile app and cannot verify or try to replicate your issue.  I would suspect that with little response, other people are not having the issue but that is just speculation.  Your best bet is to write directly to Brad for assistance.

Aside from that, screen shots don't really do much for getting help.  It doesn't show the backing information which leads to the volume numbers you have in the pictures.  If it were just a desktop issue, I would say export a recipe demonstrating the issue as a .bsmx file and posting that.  With the mobile app, I am not sure if you can do the same with the recipe from the app.  Maybe an app user can chime in to give guidance on that aspect of trying to see how the numbers were calculated.

Sorry you haven't found a solution yet. I've checked this thread every time there is a new post to see if someone offers an answer but like Oginme I really don't use the app even though I have it on my iPhone. I was really disappointed with the app as soon as I downloaded it several years ago and gave up trying to do anything other than use it for the brew day timer. I print out the brew steps from my laptop and refer to that during a session.

Thanks for the replies

I have emailed Brad directly, 3 weeks ago and nothing

Since I don't print recipes I use my phone on brew day.

Been using the SW for about 9 years so it's not foreign to me, just can't see why the volumes are off

Oh well, I'll keep looking

Ok

Built a new recipe, saved it to the cloud... here is my mash volume in the BS Windows, 16.39 gals of water. Saved and closed

Opened the same recipe from the cloud on my Android phone and now the mash volume is 15.28 gals of water

Recipe also attached

There are a couple other minor differences as well to note:
Post Mash volume, Windows 13.08, Android 13.06
Post Boil, Windows 12.08, Android 12.06

Please @Brad Smith, chime in here

Attachments

• BS Windows.jpg
    BS Windows.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 842
  • Screenshot_20201213-164422.png
    Screenshot_20201213-164422.png
    283 KB · Views: 827
  • Red Lepus.bsmx
    33.2 KB · Views: 455
For the interested parties, Brad saved the day

The BIAB grain absorption setting on my phone was set to .9600 rather than the default .586

Once I set it back, my Phone and PC are nearly identical - Phone is off by .02 gals but I can live with that

Doesn't seem right to me that BIAB setting is affecting All Grain profile but hey, who am I to question that

How/when the setting got changed... I'm sure it was me somewhere along the way but I sure don't remember doing it

Brew on  8)

Back