• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Stand back, I'm going to try SCIENCE!

cameronl

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Greetings, all. I'm an old-timer who has been brewing on and off (mostly off... raising kids, moving across the country, finances curtailing the hobby budget [damn you, 2008 recession!]) for the past 25+ years. Kids are out of the house (mostly), money's stabilizing, and I ain't moving again, so I'm getting back into this, but in kind of a big way.

I'm currently enrolled in the new Brewing Science Certificate program at Sacred Heart University in Connecticut. We've been doing a lot of brewing with some kick-butt equipment at a local brewery, as well as learning a lot of the science of brewing (and the business, too). It's also rekindling the spark to do some homebrewing on my own, so here I am. The BrewSmith mobile app will be handy in the classroom as we start learning to develop our own recipes. I'm looking forward to messing around with it.

Also, by homebrewing outside of the classroom, I can brew what *I* want. I need a rest from all the hazy, juicy New England IPAs and brew up a simple English session ale. A nice keg of English Bitters would hit the spot right now.

Cheers,
Cameron

Making beer is wrought with artistry and creativity. Nature makes beer, to a degree, all by itself. Science. Science is how me make really good beer. Repeatable good beer. The science of beer making is a thrilling ride of thermodynamics, chemistry, biology and physics. Welcome back to the brewing world. Congrats on the big step of brewing science school!

cameronl said:
GI need a rest from all the hazy, juicy New England IPAs and brew up a simple English session ale. A nice keg of English Bitters would hit the spot right now.

This is the real art of brewing. Making a consistent, balanced flavorful low abv beer. It's more fun to be able to drink two.

Back