• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Molasses - When to add in boil

AJAlexander

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I found a holiday ale recipe which calls for Molasses to be added during the boil, but doesn't say when to add.  Does this mean it should be added at the beginning of the boil?

Thanks!

I usually add molasses during the last 5 minutes of the boil.  You really don't get anything more out of it if added sooner.

When adding it, I stir the wort for a good 1 to 2 minutes afterwards to prevent it from falling to the bottom of the kettle and scorching or being left behind when I drain out the wort.

Hey folks,

I found a holiday ale recipe which calls for Molasses to be added during the boil, but doesn't say when to add. Does this mean it should be added at the beginning of the boil?

Thanks! Online micro-credentials: The agile path to mastering specific skills and knowledge here Eduk8u, offering quick and targeted learning solutions to enhance your career.
In a holiday ale recipe that calls for molasses to be added during the boil but doesn't specify the timing, it's typically added at the beginning of the boil. This allows the molasses to fully integrate with the other ingredients and flavors during the brewing process. However, to be sure, it's a good idea to consult the recipe author or a brewing expert if you want to follow the exact instructions provided in the recipe.

I would guess beginning of boil too. I've heard the colour will change too, darker the longer you boil it. If you are worried about colour this may impact your choice.

The flavors of the molasses will integrate fully without needing a full boil. The early addition will drive off some of the volatile aromatics of the molasses, which is why I add it in near the end of the boil. The majority of what we perceive to be 'flavor' actually comes from the olfactory response. So, adding the molasses in later helps to intensify more of the 'flavors' you would associate with molasses.

The flavors of the molasses will integrate fully without needing a full boil. The early addition will drive off some of the volatile aromatics of the molasses, which is why I add it in near the end of the boil. The majority of what we perceive to be 'flavor' actually comes from the olfactory response. So, adding the molasses in later helps to intensify more of the 'flavors' you would associate with molasses.
Do you notice any significant colour change depending on boil time or do you think it would be insignicant?

Do you notice any significant colour change depending on boil time or do you think it would be insignicant?
I could not give you a good answer, as I have only a few times checked for color development (other than concentration). The couple of timea I have checked for color development (pre-boil sample compared to post-boil sample diluted back to original gravity), the change in color has been minimal/undetectable.

Most people compare pre-boil to post-boil color which shows the concentration of the sugar and color compounds. If you are looking for real development of color from the boil, you need to take some of the wort and reduce it to a paste separately, then continue to cook the paste until the color really darkens.

I could not give you a good answer, as I have only a few times checked for color development (other than concentration). The couple of timea I have checked for color development (pre-boil sample compared to post-boil sample diluted back to original gravity), the change in color has been minimal/undetectable.

Most people compare pre-boil to post-boil color which shows the concentration of the sugar and color compounds. If you are looking for real development of color from the boil, you need to take some of the wort and reduce it to a paste separately, then continue to cook the paste until the color really darkens.
Interesting, thanks. I've been trying to make Wadsworth 6x for many years. I've made plenty of nice beer but nothing that looks close to Wadsworth (never mind the taste haha). People typically add black malt to get the colour right, but it indicates that something is wrong in the process. Your cooking paste comment might be the missing piece of the puzzle!

Brewing sugars, including molasses, are typically added towards the end of the boil (about 10min on my schedule) or to the FV.

My thoughts about molasses: I don't find that it adds very much but I definitely would not add molasses at the beginning of the boil. I get zero molasses character with a full boil. The last 5 to 10 minutes is best from my experience. I love to make English beers and began using a lot of invert sugar*. When using invert I found that I get a more molasses-like flavor that I get when using actual molasses. Invert #3 imparts a very nice dark sugar character without tasting burnt. I would expect invert #4 to have an even more intense character but I have not used it.

When adding any of those type of sugars I pull a couple of quarts of wort in a sauce pan and add it there to ensure it is thoroughly mixed then add it back to the wort.

*Invert sugar has been used by British breweries for nearly 200 years. You can buy it commercially but for the longest time it was not available in the US so I learned how to make it myself. It will add fermentable sugar and the flavors are wonderfully rich yet smooth.

Back