• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Volume Problems in 3.1.08

bluerooster02

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've been using BeerSmith for about a year, and never had any issues with my water volumes post-mash, but my last two batches, which both happened after my updated to 3.1.08, have been drastically short on water.

The first was a big hazy IPA with a LOT of flaked adjunct.  I wrote it off to not adjusting for all of the flake, but I was at 5.6 gallons pre-boil as opposed to the Beersmith estimate of 7.23 gallons.  My gravity numbers were close enough, so I rolled with it and just made a smaller batch.

The second was a basic American Porter.  It came to 6.5 gallons pre-boil, but my gravity was a higher than expected (1.063 instead of 1.051), so I topped it off back to 7.23 gallons and continued with the process.

Both batches were BIAB 5.5 gallon batches, with the same equipment and processes that I've been using for months.  The only change I can think of is the Beersmith update.  One other person at my local homebrew club meeting is having a similar issue, but not the degree I am (I don't think he's using BIAB).

Thoughts?  Best way to correct?  Any help would be appreciated.

Smarter people than I can give the details but this issue comes down to equipment profile. Please upload a copy of the recipe which helps identify those issues.

Water is a pretty simple calculation. That is, you can quickly evaluate beersmith calculations. You want 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. If you boil off 10% and grain absorbs 20% then, again this is rough and quick calculations, you need to start the boil with 6 gallons to boil off 10% of 5.5 (.55 gallons).  To start the boil with 6 gallons, you need to start with 6 gallons +20% or 6+1.2 or 7.2 gallons strike water.

So, you know the rough numbers. You no look in beersmith mash and equipment profile in the recipe where losses are and make sure thinks like brew in bag are selected.

Back