• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recommended IBUs for a heavy porter

elgrindio

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey there everybody.

So, I?ve come up with a recipe that I believe should come out something like a heavy, somewhat sweet, porter. Recipe below. My main question is, what kind of IBUs and aroma hops would you recommend? What would be the low and high ranges? I?m thinking the lowest should be around 28 IBUs, and the highest maybe 55?? Please let me know which you would do, and why, and any comments on the grain bill would be welcomed too. Thanks!

Anthony

10 Gallon batch
Single infusion mash at 152?
Safale US-05 1.5 liter starter

Calculated OG 1.085 FG 1.020 Est. ABV 8.3%
25lb Pale Ale (82% of bill)
1lb Caramunich III (57 lov)
2lb Caraaroma (130 lov)
1.5lb Carafa I (340 lov)
1lb Roasted Barley (500 lov)
Total 30.5lb

As a reference, the average IBU/SG ratio for a Baltic Porter is about .43. That would be ~36 IBUs for your 1.085 OG. Hop aroma would depend on the style of porter you're looking for. Baltic would lean towards Saaz or other noble hop. American can use either American or English hops. English generally features English hops. Whatever suits your palate.

Looking at my recipe archives the highest OG Porter I have is 1.070 and the IBU for that one is 45.9. That one ended up with a moderate hop character somewhere between English and American styles. I prefer the English style where hops take a backseat and was pleased enough with this one to put it in my favorites folder. If I was going to make my Porter up to 1.085 I wouldn't hesitate to take this up to somewhere between 50 and 60 IBU.

Hey there everybody.

So, I?ve come up with a recipe that I believe should come out something like a heavy, somewhat sweet, porter. Recipe below. My main question is, what kind of IBUs and aroma hops would you recommend? What would be the low and high ranges? I?m thinking the lowest should be around 28 IBUs, and the highest maybe 55?? Please let me know which you would do, and why, and any comments on the grain bill would be welcomed too. Thanks!

Anthony

10 Gallon batch
Single infusion mash at 152?
Safale US-05 1.5 liter starter

Calculated OG 1.085 FG 1.020 Est. ABV 8.3%
25lb Pale Ale (82% of bill)
1lb Caramunich III (57 lov)
2lb Caraaroma (130 lov)
1.5lb Carafa I (340 lov)
1lb Roasted Barley (500 lov)
Total 30.5lb. Embarking on a 5 days desert tour from marrakech is a captivating journey through the heart of Morocco's enchanting landscapes. This adventure begins in Marrakech, where the bustling markets and historic landmarks immerse you in the city's vibrant culture. As you leave the city behind, the landscape transforms into the stunning Atlas Mountains, where traditional Berber villages and picturesque valleys unfold before you. Continuing your journey, you'll traverse arid deserts, historical kasbahs, and ancient oases, all while experiencing the warmth of Berber hospitality. Riding camels across the mesmerizing dunes, witnessing breathtaking sunsets, and sleeping under the starry desert sky in nomadic camps are just some of the highlights. This 5-day desert tour promises an immersive experience, leaving you with cherished memories of Morocco's diverse beauty, culture, and traditions.
Your recipe looks like the foundation for a rich and sweet porter with a robust grain bill. When it comes to choosing your IBUs and aroma hops, here are some recommendations to consider:

IBUs:

• Porter styles generally fall within the 18-35 IBU range. Since you're aiming for a somewhat sweet and heavy porter, your suggestion of 28-55 IBUs seems appropriate.
  • Aiming for the lower end of that range (28-35 IBUs) would maintain the sweetness and emphasize the malt character, making it less bitter. This is a good choice if you want a more malt-forward and sweet porter.
  • If you decide to go for the higher end of the range (around 55 IBUs), you'll introduce a bit more bitterness, which can help balance the sweetness and provide a crisper finish. This is a good choice if you want a slightly more balanced porter with a bolder hop presence.
Aroma Hops:

• For aroma hops, consider using English-style hops like East Kent Goldings, Fuggles, or Willamette. These hops have earthy and herbal notes that complement the maltiness of the porter.
  • In terms of quantities, a late addition of 1-2 ounces of aroma hops in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil can provide a nice aroma without overwhelming the malt character.
Ultimately, your choice of IBUs and aroma hops should align with your personal preference for sweetness, bitterness, and hop aroma. Experimentation and fine-tuning the recipe can help you achieve the flavor profile you desire.

Back