• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Aging Hops

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi

As I build a recipe I can use the hop age tool. If my records are accurate I can get an adjusted Alpha rating for the hop I want to use. I calculated a hop and got an, "adjusted Alpha of 0.99%

How do I use this information. If the recipe calls for one ounce of the hop can I add more of that hop to get the alpha back up? If so, how do I figure out how much to add?

I order most of my hops in bulk when the latest crop becomes available. Every year, at harvest time, I adjust the alpha acid % of the hops I have in inventory from past crop years using the Hop Age tool. That way, there's no need to calculate it in every recipe. In the Hop Age tool, choose the hop variety, fill in all of the pertinent information for the center section and adjust the hops in your inventory to the AA% shown on the bottom line. Note: When entering Age of Hops, use the number of months since you last adjusted AA% for that hop.

BOB357 said:
I order most of my hops in bulk when the latest crop becomes available. Every year, at harvest time, I adjust the alpha acid % of the hops I have in inventory from past crop years using the Hop Age tool. That way, there's no need to calculate it in every recipe. In the Hop Age tool, choose the hop variety, fill in all of the pertinent information for the center section and adjust the hops in your inventory to the AA% shown on the bottom line. Note: When entering Age of Hops, use the number of months since you last adjusted AA% for that hop.

Thanks Bob...this is exactly what I was asking for.

BOB357 said:

I will use the hop aging tool and update my hop utilization records. Once complete I assume my inventory is updated. Therefore, the recipe I am working on grabs that latest data to determine how many ounces of hops I need in my recipe. Sound right?

Not sure I understand. Maybe it's just the terminology you used.

You need to update the Alpha acid % of the individual hop varieties. When you add a hop addition to the ingredients in a recipe, the software used the data for the hop for calculating the IBUs. Utilization adjustments apply to all hops and are usually used more to fine tune expected bittering levels. 

Back