• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add a search/report feature to BS

MartinFa

Apprentice
Reaction score
When I hit a problem with a brew, e.g. not fermenting out as expected, it would be great to be able to search back through my previous brews for when I've used the same yeast. Could envisage other useful searches as being water type, grains, mash pH, etc. This would be handy for narrowing down causes of problems and spotting trends.

I believe this has been considered before (in 2012?).

Looks like we are having the same idea about this issue. Check my post about Statistical Process Control SPC in the equipment section of the forum. It is not too complicated to create such a tool by yourself, but many entries must be done manually. By its nature it helps to understand your equipment and process for permanent improvement.

Also noticed your post in the suggestion section about separating a recipe from a brew we seem to share similar ideas. Maybe we can share some ideas and spreadsheet tools to achieve such goals.

Bizarre though this sounds - as a long time user of BS - I've just discovered there IS a search feature. BUT...

It only searches through my local brews/recipes; NOT through my cloud-based brews. As I keep all my brew log in my cloud folder, I wasn't able to search.

So I guess the enhancement request should be amended to "extend the search to search through my cloud folders"

Not sure if this helps or not but iff are using the desktop version of BS on the menu to the left of the main window are search starting options. Search All will search all of your local folders. When you type in a search term use can use multiple terms separated by a comma. So if you made an IPA with a particular yeast last year and want to find it among the many IPA's you've made since just search IPA, WLP001.
What displays is all recipes containing either IPA or WLP001 so if you want to see only those recipes that have both IPA and WLP001 use the drop down menu in the search tool and select "Match recipes containing all listed terms".

There are also search starting options in the left side menu for Cloud and Cloud Search. I believe one searches your cloud recipes and the other searches the entire cloud database held at beersmithrecipes.com.

Kevin58 said:
Not sure if this helps or not but iff are using the desktop version of BS on the menu to the left of the main window are search starting options. Search All will search all of your local folders. When you type in a search term use can use multiple terms separated by a comma. So if you made an IPA with a particular yeast last year and want to find it among the many IPA's you've made since just search IPA, WLP001.
What displays is all recipes containing either IPA or WLP001 so if you want to see only those recipes that have both IPA and WLP001 use the drop down menu in the search tool and select "Match recipes containing all listed terms".

Thanks for the reply and, yes; I largely agree but for the cloud search.

I am indeed using BS3 Desktop, v 3.0.8. This is my folder view to which you refer:

Kevin58 said:
There are also search starting options in the left side menu for Cloud and Cloud Search. I believe one searches your cloud recipes and the other searches the entire cloud database held at beersmithrecipes.com.

The Local Search works just fine (as I now know!). So a local search for S-04 yeast reveals these results...

The "Cloud" level in the folder list view opens the top level view of my folders in the RHS pane but no search criteria are available: the search bar there only searches the Names in that view, without searching subfolders.

But the Cloud Search seems to provide me with no options to search my cloud folders...

...and returns only those cloud entries where the search term appears in the header/title/name of the beer across the whole of the cloud repository.

Back