• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gravity Readings - Temperature

Brewster98th

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question in regards the gravity estimates that BeerSmith uses.  The Basis of my questions is this....Theoretically, lets say it estimates my OG to be 1.053 and my FG to be 1.010.  I understand the need to adjust the FG for EtOH but what temperature are these gravity estimates based off of?  My refractometer is calibrated to 68F and my hydrometer is calibrated to 60F.  In essence, what temperature should be used compare to the BS estimated value?

Thank you,

The answer is:  What did you use to dial in your efficiency in the program?  If you use the hydrometer for your OG readings and adjust the program (brew house efficiency) based upon those readings, then the program is based upon the density reading at 60F.  If you used your refractometer, then it is calibrated at 68F.

The program is a series of calculations and has no idea how you developed the parameters in your equipment profile which define the conditions with which it will model your process.

That all makes sense.  Where would I go within the program to dial in the efficiency?  I?ve gone into tools to make sure it has the correct temperatures for my respective meters.

I apologize for the basin nature of these questions.  I?m relatively new to BeerSmith. 

Your system efficiency is in your Equipment Profile defined as 'Brew House Efficiency'.  This represents the amount of sugars in your grist which make it to the fermenter.  If you have not yet customized this to your process, then I would suggest you work on taking an existing profile which is close to your system and adjusting the parameters or creating one from scratch.  There are plenty of videos on YouTube which will walk you through the basic process and how to get the numbers you need.  Don't worry if they videos are made for BS2, the basic measurements and data is still relevant. 

Brad also has some blog posts on the main BeerSmith web site describing setting up an equipment profile if you prefer reading about the process.

From Marshall at Brulosophy:
https://youtu.be/QmW7pwQP5mQ

From Brian at Short Circuited Brewing:
https://youtu.be/HwEbjOt8OR8

You might want to also create some custom mash profiles using the tutorials contained in Brulosophy channel.

Back