• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Size?

M

Mets17

Just a quick question....when creating a new recipe, when entering "batch size", should this take into account volume loss due to trub, cooling, etc.?  Or does Beersmith already take that into account?

For example, I want to enter a recipe that will net me 10 gallons of finished beer.  Generally, my boil volume will leave me with 11 gallons left post-boil, all of which gets transferred to the fermentation tank through my chill wizard (resulting in some volume loss), and then an additional 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon lost to trub, resulting in a total finished beer of 10 gallons. 

I just want to be sure, since what you enter in batch size impacts your estimated OG, IBU, etc..

Thanks!

You can specifiy all this in your equipment profile.  Click on Details and also select the check box to "set Boil volume based on equipment"

It taks some tinkering, but you can get it dialed in.

Back