• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Please Elminate Trial And Error to Get Double Sparge

H

Henry Hill

After much searching and reading here and on HB forums, I finally was shown how to get two equal batch sparges. This is a very common step in many brewer's processes, and certainly multiple sparges were foreseen, but are not directly selectable. I had been splitting it in half to get the water amounts needed, feeling that I was not doing something correctly that I couldn't get such a common process. I had been using it like this with a less than satisfactory feeling.  :-\

Only by playing with mash tun volume percentage do I get 2 sparges to show up on my Brewsheet. At 100%, I got only Sparge 1.  At 50%, I got 9 sparges. At 70%, I finally got 2 equal sparge steps.  :(

Would it be possible to let us select the number of sparges directly, instead of having to lie and trial and error the desired result?  ???

Henry,
  The program uses the minimum needed.  If you only need one sparge step to complete a batch sparge, then that is what it will calculate.  Needless to say a single batch sparge step is more efficient than two steps. 

The updated batch sparge profiles in the current version all use equal size batch sparge steps.  If you have enough water for two steps it will split it automatically.

Cheers,
Brad

Back