Author Topic: Blueberry Wheat  (Read 1828 times)

Offline AJAlexander

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Blueberry Wheat
« on: January 27, 2021, 05:16:39 PM »
Hey folks,

Looking to make some sort of Blueberry Wheat Ale, never used fruit though.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how best to add the blueberry flavor?  Looking to have a dry finishe, not fruity. 

I've seen some recipes call for actual blueberries, extract or blueberry puree.  What would you recommend, how much for a 10gal batch, and when to add?

Thanks in advance!

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
Re: Blueberry Wheat
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 06:13:28 PM »
Hey folks,

Does anyone have any thoughts on how best to add the blueberry flavor?  Looking to have a dry finish, not fruity. 

I've seen some recipes call for actual blueberries, extract or blueberry puree.  What would you recommend, how much for a 10gal batch, and when to add?

Blueberry is a fruit where much of the flavor and color comes from the skin and not much from the fruit pulp, itself. It's also not a very robust flavor, which means that you don't want it to go through a vigorous fermentation because you'll lose most of the aroma.

I'd add fruit puree at about day 5 or 6 of primary fermentation. You'll get a little restart of fermentation, but not enough to kill the flavor and aroma. About 6 days later, you should have extracted as much color and flavor as you can. Be very careful in racking off of the lees. You'll want to hold the racking cane above the lees until you're almost finished because it'll easily clog.

I use a whole fruit extract instead of fruit, simply because it's easier and tastes a bit more intense than puree.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

modification