• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Blueberry Wheat

AJAlexander

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Looking to make some sort of Blueberry Wheat Ale, never used fruit though.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how best to add the blueberry flavor?  Looking to have a dry finishe, not fruity. 

I've seen some recipes call for actual blueberries, extract or blueberry puree.  What would you recommend, how much for a 10gal batch, and when to add?

Thanks in advance!

AJAlexander said:
Hey folks,

Does anyone have any thoughts on how best to add the blueberry flavor?  Looking to have a dry finish, not fruity. 

I've seen some recipes call for actual blueberries, extract or blueberry puree.  What would you recommend, how much for a 10gal batch, and when to add?

Blueberry is a fruit where much of the flavor and color comes from the skin and not much from the fruit pulp, itself. It's also not a very robust flavor, which means that you don't want it to go through a vigorous fermentation because you'll lose most of the aroma.

I'd add fruit puree at about day 5 or 6 of primary fermentation. You'll get a little restart of fermentation, but not enough to kill the flavor and aroma. About 6 days later, you should have extracted as much color and flavor as you can. Be very careful in racking off of the lees. You'll want to hold the racking cane above the lees until you're almost finished because it'll easily clog.

I use a whole fruit extract instead of fruit, simply because it's easier and tastes a bit more intense than puree.

Blueberry is a fruit where much of the flavor and color comes from the skin and not much from the fruit pulp, itself. It's also not a very robust flavor, which means that you don't want it to go through a vigorous fermentation because you'll lose most of the aroma.

I'd add fruit puree at about day 5 or 6 of primary fermentation. You'll get a little restart of fermentation, but not enough to kill the flavor and aroma. About 6 days later, you should have extracted as much color and flavor as you can. Be very careful in racking off of the lees Salesforce Consultancy Manchester. You'll want to hold the racking cane above the lees until you're almost finished because it'll easily clog.

I use a whole fruit extract instead of fruit, simply because it's easier and tastes a bit more intense than puree.
How many lbs of blueberries should I put in the secondary of my wheat beer base? I have a 6 lb can from the home brew store but think 6 lbs is too much. Thoughts???

As Brewfun stated, blueberry is not a very robust flavor and can be very easily overwhelmed by other flavors in the beer. It would not be too outrageous to add 6 lbs into a 5 gal batch. As a gut check, search on line for blueberry beer recipes and see what they are typically adding to get some flavor into their recipes. This would give you a better idea of where you might want to begin.

As Brewfun stated, blueberry is not a very robust flavor and can be very easily overwhelmed by other flavors in the beer. It would not be too outrageous to add 6 lbs into a 5 gal batch. As a gut check, search on line for blueberry beer recipes and see what they are typically adding to get some flavor into their recipes. This would give you a better idea of where you might want to begin.
thank you so much for your suggestion

Blueberry is a fruit where much of the flavor and color comes from the skin and not much from the fruit pulp, itself. blueberry is not a very robust flavor and can be very easily overwhelmed by other flavors in the beer. It would not be too outrageous to add 6 lbs into a 5 gal batch. As a gut check, search on line for blueberry beer HIC Resistant Plates UAE recipes and see what they are typically adding to get some flavor into their recipes. This would give you a better idea of where you might want to begin.

My take on a Belgian Wit.
I do not have the BeerSmith application.

Inital Boil Volume = 7 gal / 26 liters

Grain Bill
----------

4.40lbs / 2kg - Pilsner
4.40lbs / 2kg - Flaked Wheat
2.20lbs / 1kg - Wheat
0.75lbs / 0.35kg - Flaked oats

Hops
----
0.4oz / 10g - Southern Star (14.4% AA) @ 45min
2.0oz / 55g - Southern Aroma (6% AA) @ 10min

Yeast
-----
Mangrove Jacks M21 (Attn = 70% - 75%, Temp = 18C to 25C)
Possible substitutes are Lallemand Belgian Wit style or WLP400

Hop information
---------------
Both Southern Star and Southern Aroma are South African hops.
Southern Star can be replaced by any high AA neutral bittering hop.
Southern Aroma - Floral, fields of flowers, woody/spicy, and fruity.

Southern Aroma2.jpg

Preperation and addition of spices
----------------------------------
10g coriander at 20 min
10g coriander at 10 min
50g orange peel at 10 min
Prepare the orange peel several days before brewing.
Boil orange peel for 15 min add to jar with 250 ml water and refrigerate.
On brew day remove orange peel from jar and add 10 min before end of boil.
Add contents of jar to secondary fermentor.

Back