• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Volumes

moosemoose

Apprentice
Reaction score
Ran into an odd situation the other day.  I created a new recipe using my 'calibrated' equipment profile which has been working out pretty well.  At the end of the day I was about a gallon short with this new recipe.  Given that this new recipe uses the same equipment profile that has worked in the past (same quantity of grains, same mash profile, nearly identical to the previous recipe) what factors would account for the water shortage? 

Comparing between this new recipe and my tried and true recipe, the required strike water was the same between the two, however the amount of sparge water was different by about a gallon - which is what i was short by.  Any ideas what would account for this difference?  I would expect the amount of water between these two recipes to be the same, everything thing else is aside from the type of grains used. 

For kicks i made a copy of my tried and true recipe and modified the grain bill to match the new recipe and the sparge water was more accurate, about a gallon (3.92gal v 4.7gal) more than the recipe that was short.  Looking through all the menu and screen options I'm not finding anything that points to why the sparge volume for the new recipe was short by a gallon.  Any thoughts or pointers?

version 3.0.8

Is the dead space loss the same between the two equipment profiles? It seems like the newer profile possibly has recoverable dead space loss when it should be the next field down.

One thing I noticed, is the top off water field in the equipment profile of my erroneous recipe had 0.75 gallons in top off water.  I was assuming that this field was calculated based on the previous volumes, but after tinkering with things perhaps that's not the case.  Am I correct in saying that the top off water field of equipment profiles is not calculated and is defined by the brewer's process?  If that is the case, then that's probably where my shortage is stemming from.

Additionally, once an equipment profile is selected for a recipe, are edits to that profile from the recipe tab saved only to that instance of the equipment profile and not to the base profile?  So if i made any edits to the equipment profile from the recipe page, then created a new recipe and used the same equipment profile my previous edits from the other recipe would not carry over.  I would have had to make the edits from the equipment profiles page.

Thanks again!

You are correct that the top off water is not a calculated field but user defined.  Somewhere in the past you might have had a value in that field which follows that particular equipment profile.

As to adjustments, each recipe is a self contained archive, so making a change outside the recipe does not change the profile in those recipes already written.  Likewise, if you change the equipment profile within a recipe and then add it to your equipment profile library, the program will not overwrite the previous version but will just add it as a second profile with the same name.  I track changes in my equipment profile by tagging the profile with the date of the last update.  This way I can easily identify which version of a given profile is being used in the recipe I just opened.

Back