• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Enhancement Request: Add manual steps

A

atarlecky

Hi,

In the next version of Beersmith, could you please add the ability to insert manual steps into the plan? I want to be able to add reminders like "Calibrate Refractomoter" and "Take 1st running specific gravity." etc.

Thanks!

Hi,
  You can do that today in a limited sense by making a custom brewsheet template.  A sample is in the Templates directory under the BeerSmith directory, and you can make a copy and customize that if desired.

However, I do think it would be nice to be able to add custom steps - so I will look into how I might implement that in the future.

Thanks,
Brad

I actually already kinda figured out how to do this. You basically create a new mash step and set the volume of water to add to zero, set the step time to zero, and change the title of the step to whatever you want.

The only thing you might need to check to see if the volume to add is zero and if so, skip the insertion for the description and the step temperature.

Alternatively, you could simply add a new step-type called 'Instructions' or something.

Attachments

• Manual Steps.jpg
    Manual Steps.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 409
I created new items under Miscellaneous and assigned them the desired "times" in the boil process.  Works OK.  Once you get them in place, using ACTIONS \ SAVE RECIPE AS DEFAULT puts them into all future recipes.  I also recently started using the Taste section for the water chemistry items. 

Style: Kolsch
Recipe: 6C Kolsch TYPE: All Grain
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
Est SRM: 3.7 SRM SRM RANGE: 3.5-5.0 SRM
Est IBU: 23.4 IBU IBU RANGE: 20.0-30.0 IBU
Est OG: 1.052 SG OG RANGE: 1.044-1.050 SG
Est FG: 1.013 SG FG RANGE: 1.007-1.011 SG
Est BU:GU: 0.450 Calories: 231 cal/pint Est ABV: 5.14 %
EE%: 68.00 % Batch: 4.00 gal      Boil: 6.00 gal BT: 90 Mins
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
1 Pkgs        Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)          Yeast-Ale                 

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------
Gyp 1.0; CalChlr 1.5; Espom 1.5; Soda 1.0

Ingredients for Mashing
3.62 lb      Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM)              Grain        44.36 %     
3.62 lb      Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)            Grain        44.36 %     
0.50 lb      Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM)        Grain        6.13 %       
0.18 lb      Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM)            Grain        2.21 %       
0.12 lb      Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM)          Grain        1.47 %       
0.12 lb      Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)                Grain        1.47 %       

Total Grain Weight: 8.16 lb Total Hops: 1.00 oz.
---MASH PROCESS-----------------------------
Decoction Mash, Single
Step Time    Name              Description                        Step Temp   
15 min        Protein Rest      Add 10.20 qt of water at 128.1 F    120.0 F     
20 min        Saccharification  Decoct 4.10 qt of mash and boil it  149.0 F     
10 min        Mash Out          Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min        168.0 F     

---SPARGE PROCESS---------------------------
Add first wort hops during sparge
1.00 oz      Select Spalt [3.80 %]  (90 min) (First WorHops        23.4 IBU     
Sparge with 4.43 gal of 168.0 F water.

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.043 Est OG: 1.052 SG
Boil Ingredients
Boil        Amount      Item                                      Type       
45 min      8.77 oz      Yeast Sample (Boil 45.0 min)              Misc       
25 min      1.13 items  Preheat Chiller Outside (Boil 25.0 min)  Misc   

13 min      1.10 items  Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 13.0 min)          Misc       
10 min      2.41 gm      Wyeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)          Misc       
9 min        0.80 items  Wort Chiller (Boil 9.0 min)              Misc         

---NOTES----------------------------------------------------
yeast range = 56-70F
Mash pH = 5.38 @ 149/150 => 24 Brix.  Decoction went well.  Ferm at 61/62F.

Back