• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Problem scaling recipe

daleb

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have made a 5.5 gallon Irish stout several times and using beersmith my recipe is
6 # Maris otter Malt malt
2 # Flaked Barley
1 # Roasted Barley
3.0 oz 45 min
6.00 total water volume @ Boil
my numbers are 1.046 SC  36.3 IBU's 32.8 SRM
est. ABV 4.5 %

I want to brew a 1/2 batch and scaled manually to 50% of the above ingredients and my numbers are
3# Maris otter
1 # Flaked Barley
8 oz roasted Barley

1.023 SG, 34.1 IBU
22.5 SRM
Total water volume @ boil 2.75 gallon
est. ABV 2.2 %
IMO the ABV should not change and neither should the ibyor srm
Can some help?
Thanks

It really sounds like you didn't adjust your batch size after adjusting your grain amounts. Rather than manually scaling, why not just use the Scale Recipe option?

Two questions... Why aren't you using the batch scaling tool in Beersmith? Are you scaling down using the same equipment profile that the original was built with?

I am using the same equipment profile and this is only the second time I have used beersmith 3 and I am not sure how to use the scale method. I tried but it did not come out right either. What I don't understand that I started a new recipe using the same profile equipment and just by cutting the ingredients in half should still get the same abv, srm and ibu. I cut the amount of water in half as well so I am at a loss.

The scaling tool works great. You have the option of maintaining the same equipment profile or using another. You also have the option of matching OG, IBUs and color.  The fact that the results don't look right to you doesn't mean you shouldn't trust them. Here's a tutorial on how to use it. The video was produced for BS 2, but the tool is the same in BS3.
http://beersmith.com/scaling-a-beer-recipe-in-beersmith-2/
I'm assuming the order in which you applied changes and that you didn't consider the losses using the same equipment profile as being double when compared to the batch size is why your results were skewed. The same volume loss will make a significant difference when you cut the ingredients in half.

Great, Thanks for all the replies. The video really helped. It took a little while as I think beersmith 3  dialog box is a little different but this is the first time I have used it. Everything looks good except the IBU's are 54 but I can cut that down.
Thanks everyone.
Dale

Back