• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU's not calculating in Beersmith 3

pmihlek

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I?m having an issue with my recipes showing 0 for IBU?s.  I?ve read some other posts and checked my equipment profile and all seems to be correct. I?m attaching a copy of my recipe any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Paul

Attachments

• Exit 2 NEIPA 10 Gallon.bsmx
    36 KB · Views: 176
When I looked at your recipe, it shows 5.5 IBU for the 60 minute Magnum addition.  The rest of your hop additions are 0-minute boil additions. The program assumes that you are adding the hops and immediately chilling to temperatures below where the hop acids will isomerize thus producing very little measurable IBU from those hops.

If you intend to do any time steeping and want some estimation of the IBU from the flame out hop addition or if you know it will take you a period of time to set up and chill, I would recommend adding the hops as 'whirlpool/steep' and putting the temperature as 210F (99C) and adding the time you want/expect the hops to sit in the hot wort before chilling.

Perfect, I did as you suggested and now the IBU's are showing up!  Thank you very much!!!

Cheers!
Paul

Back