• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

3 questions

kw642

Master Brewer
Reaction score
1.  I recently installed a stout tap as well as a tank of nitrogen.  I know that beer gas is the way to go, but for now I'm stuck with straight nitro.  I set it to 38 psi and hooked a keg up to it a week ago, but it's still dead flat.  I can alternate between CO2 and nitro - anyone have any tips on getting this to behave similar to beer gas until next I can get beer gas?

2.  I want to try making hop water, and one recipe I came across called for lactic acid.  I have citric acid on hand - will that suffice?

3.  Anyone there have advice regarding brewing with spruce tips?  I have a tree out front that will soon be offering up a massive supply.  Any recipes or information on how/when to use them would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

1) For Nitrogen, you really need to get it to go through the beer. There needs to be a very small amount of CO2 in the beer to get any head. At room temperature (20c or below) ther eis about 0.75 to 1 volumes still in the beer and that's plenty. You're on the right track with 38psi of Nitro, but you'll want to rock the keg on its side for at least 20 minutes (maybe less time if it's below 10c).

To serve, make sure your line length offers you the correct resistance length for the serving pressure. Most kegerators have beer lines that are too short.

2) Acids can have different flavors. Homebrew supply shops carry Lactic, so it's an easy thing to order. Pretty cheap, too.

3) Can't help, but there is a lot of experienced advice available.

Back