• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

dry hop instructions unclear

joe7292

Apprentice
Reaction score

I have a question about how to read recipe instructions on dry hopping. This tells me to dry hop 3 days before bottling for 12 days. How is that even possible if i am going to bottle after 3 days.
Maybe i am reading this completely wrong but someone please help me.

Thanks in advance

Is this your recipe or one that you received from someone else?  I am guessing that if it is not your own recipe, that it comes from BeerSmith 2 and when imported into BeerSmith 3, the instructions for the hop additions are set to the default (specifically the addition 3 days before bottling).  This nomenclature is new in BeerSmith 3 so it does cause some confusion with imported recipes.

I would look at the whole recipe and adjust the addition time to make sense with the days in contact based upon the original intention of the recipe.

Oginme said:
Is this your recipe or one that you received from someone else?  I am guessing that if it is not your own recipe, that it comes from BeerSmith 2 and when imported into BeerSmith 3, the instructions for the hop additions are set to the default (specifically the addition 3 days before bottling).  This nomenclature is new in BeerSmith 3 so it does cause some confusion with imported recipes.

I would look at the whole recipe and adjust the addition time to make sense with the days in contact based upon the original intention of the recipe.

You are right this is not my recipe. i got this from the recipe cloud and wanted to give it a try.
Thank you for your answer. i'll just ignore the 3 days function and tweak the recipe. 12 days dry hopping seems also a bit too much. so i am not sure if that is right also.
I'll try shorter on the hops and maybe taste if i like it after a couple of days.

On the design page, double click on dry hop entry(s). You can edit details about the addition in the window that opens. You'll need to do this for each of the dry hop entries.

BOB357 said:
On the design page, double click on dry hop entry(s). You can edit details about the addition in the window that opens. You'll need to do this for each of the dry hop entries.

Thanks Bob! Found it. I'll just try some in a small batch and make it my own  :D

Back