• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Confused

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
For reasons of age, I am now focused on BIAB methods.

When I use BS and the Water tool there is an option to match a water profile.

Selecting that option, I am presented with chemical additions to match the profile.

These additions are in two areas ? Mash and Sparge.

Since BIAB has no sparge equivalent I assume that those 'sparge' chemical additions can be ignored.

Is my thinking correct??

I believe there is a checkbox in either the equipment or mash profile for BIAB and full volume batches. Choosing that option will consolidate the water additions into one dose.

The program looks at the mash profile for water volumes and uses the strike volume for calculating mash additions and the sparge volume for boil additions. If you're doing a full volume mash, selecting "BIAB mash with full boil" will solve your problem. As in many other functions, BeerSmith requires your input.

Thanks to those who took the time to reply.

Yup, there is a checkbox but when I went to edit the Mash profile there seemed no way to do that.  I can create a new profile but is edit of an existing foreclosed or did I miss something?

Ignore last post -- found a way to edit the mash profile.  Sort of buried but it will work.  Addiing an EDIT option to the mash profile might be a future BS addition to be considered. 

mr_beer said:
Ignore last post -- found a way to edit the mash profile.  Sort of buried but it will work.  Addiing an EDIT option to the mash profile might be a future BS addition to be considered.

Not quite sure what you mean.

If you open the mash profile in the profiles library, you can edit/change it straight away.  Clicking on 'OK', automatically saves any changes you make.  To make this part of your recipe, you will need to update your recipe with this new profile.

In the recipe, you can edit any mash profile by clicking on the checkmark icon next to the mash profile (see image).  This will change the profile only within that recipe.  You can save the profile to your profile ligbrary by clicking on the disk icon.

Attachments

• mash profile edit.jpg
    mash profile edit.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 533
Thank you Oginme. 

You are correct, I did not go to the Profiles Library.  Instead I selected the profile during recipe design.
It opened up a window with the defined profiles and a Create Mash Profile action. 

What I was suggesting is another option on that sheet with the Edit action which in turn could open up a dialog box indicating that the way to edit a profile is to use the Profile Library.

Again thanks for the pointer.

Which leads to the next question, if I update an existing profile, does that update ripple through all recipes or is the newer information only in the recipes that selected that profile during the design process? 

When you change a profile or create a new one, it has no affect on existing recipes. If you want to use the new or edited profile in an existing recipe, you need to select it within the recipe. It will only affect the recipe you select it in.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. 

Back