• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pitching Rate Calculator

W

wrz0170

This may or may not have been suggested or maybe its somewhere in BS, but I haven't found it. 

I am putting the finishing touches on a DIY stir plate and a pitching rate calculator would be a great feature to have.
If you google, you can find a couple of different models. 

Enter what kind of beer you are making, Ale, Lager, etc.  The type of Yeast you are using; liquid or dry,
Put in approx OG and maybe have the calculator tell you how many packs/vials you will need, how many yeast cells and what size starter (1L, 2L, etc)  This would help plan your starter and assist in getting the right amount of yeast for a healthy fermentation.

Just thought I would throw it out there in case it hasn't been brough up!  ;D

This would be very helpful.  I have just started washing and reusing yeast and one of my biggest problems is how to make the starter.  How much DME?  How much yeast?  Is there too much?  If I under pitch, will the yeast population fully colonize the fermenter?

Another cool thing to do would be to include various recipes for starters.  Any one of us could do that.  I'll see if I can come up with a few in the months ahead.

I really like the calculator on mrmalty.com.  It has a bunch of different options including whether or not you're using a stirplate.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Hi,
  I've been looking closely at Mr Malty and I'm implementing something like that for the standalone yeast calculator.  For the integrated recipe yeast calculator I'm trying to simplify it a bit but have not yet found the right balance.

Brad

Back