• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottle Caps

E

Enchanted Brew

Does a bottle capper work with a commercial twist off style bottle?  I would like to bottle using my commercial bottles as well as some I've purchased from my brew store.  Theirs don't appear to have the twist off feature.

We're getting ready for bottling day and don't want any surprises.

Thanks.

I've always heard using twist-off bottles can be a bit dodgy --- they are thinner at the top and may crack.

Talk to your neighbors and check craigslist for real cappable bottles. You also might pick up a box or 2 of new 22oz bottles as this will reduce the total number of bottles needed.

I also highly recommend a PBW cleaner and a good bottle brush + a good rinse on bottles

I have 10 cases of 12oz bottles.  Most craft 6packs are reusable.  Sam adams bottles are great too.

Rinse them imeadiately when you pour them and fuzzies won't grow.  Then amonia and water in one of thos big plastic storage tubs for a day or two and the labels will fall off. 

Then a green 3M pad for the glue, rinse, bottle washer and let them air dry.  I do a no rinse sanitizer bath before bottling and I'm in business.

Definately save the ones you have delabled and it gets very easy.

I tried some of the twist off bottles in one batch.  I lost five out 15 bottles because of the weakened top at the threads.  the ones i didn't lose due to breakage, were lacking on the  carbonation, probably due to lack of seal.  I have never had a problem with the craft bottles or the ones i bought new from my LHBS.

I've read somewhere that the twist off may or may not provide a good seal.  In other words, using those means you're rolling the dice as to whether or not you'll even get the stuff carbonated.

+1 on the Sam Adams bottles, their labels come off the easiest and they take a cap the best in my opinion.  I'd much rather go buy a 6er or 12 of Sam Adams then spend the money at my LHBS on bottles

You can use the twist of bottles but not with the Wing Capper!!!! There is a special caper (Like the Colonna Bench Capper or the Agata Bench Capper here http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=capper&x=0&y=0 )for the twist off bottles. This type of capper does not use the lip at the top of the bottle and closes the ribbed section around the bottle more uniformly which helps with the seal.

Cheers
Preston

Back