• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

water added during mash step and unadjusted pH

Macpo

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi !
Here is my problem : when i change the amount of water added during mash step, it doesn't affect estimated (unadjusted) pH. I suppose it should be the case, though. What am i doing wrong ? I give you a couple of pictures to make it clearer. Thanks for answers !

Macpo

Attachments

• pH beersmith 1.jpg
    pH beersmith 1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 201
  • pH beersmith 2.jpg
    pH beersmith 2.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 181
  • pH beersmith 3.jpg
    pH beersmith 3.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 180
Please if someone could help, that would be lovely !  I still haven't found an answer to my problem.

First, it does not matter if you tell the program to add more water than your recipe calls for (ex #2), because the program uses only the water needed for the recipe (5.32 liters) for the pH calculation. 

Second, screen shots only show the mash manipulations and no other information for us to go on.  What does the water tab look like? Are there any water agent additions? If not, what is the mineral make up of the water?

The calculated pH is cut off of the screen captures, so we can't see what additions are being made.  Did you scale them with the change in water volumes or are they flat regardless of the water volume?  Same with any acid additions.

The short story is that the pH model is just that... a model.  Trust it only as much as it can be verified.

Back