Author Topic: re install problem  (Read 3763 times)

Offline nlane

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
re install problem
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:10:43 AM »
I have version 1.4 and got a new computer. Using my new computer, I went to the web site and downloaded Beersmith. I ran the install program, no problem. Started it up, entered my old code, everything went fine. I exported my old recipes to an external hard drive, imported to new computer, no problem. But now each time I start BeerSmith on new computer, it starts over wanting the registration code, re configure, etc.
What am I doing wrong?
Norman Lane

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: re install problem
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 12:22:13 PM »
Norman,
  Usually this is a permissions problem (likely you are using Vista) where you may have installed it as an administrator but are running as a limited user.  The way to correct this is to go to the C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory and modify the permissions on the directories under it so your limited user can actually write to those directories and files.

Cheers,
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline nlane

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:27:52 AM »
Brad:
Thanks for the help. I couldn't see how to set the permissions (XP) but I used "run as" to start the program and entered the code. I haven't had the problem since, even when logged in as std user.
Great program!
Norman

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:33:27 AM »
Norman,
  Someone found another solution, which is perhaps a bit more elegant.  Simply install the program to a directory under your "My Documents" directory.  This resolves the permissions problem and makes it easy to back up your files if needed.

Cheers,
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here